Skip to main content
- Head of Research and Development, Scholars’ Lab, University of Virginia Library. March 2017–present.
- Lecturer, American Studies, University of Virginia. January 2013–present.
- Design Architect, Scholars’ Lab, University of Virginia Library, June 2011–March 2017.
- Assistant Director of Research, Center for History and New Media, George Mason University, October 2010–June 2011.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of History, American University,
- Creative Lead, Center for History and New Media, George Mason University, January 2008–October 2010.
- Web Developer, Center for History and New Media, George Mason University, January 2006–January 2008.
- Lecturer, Department of History and Art History, George Mason University, August 2006–January 2012.
- Lecturer, Department of Art, George Mason University,
- Master of Arts, History, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2003.
- Bachelor of Arts, History and Political Sciene, University of Virginia’s College at Wise, 2001.
- (Book Chapter) “Making in Matter,” with J.K. Purdom Lindblad and Jennifer Reed. Making Things and Drawing Boundaries: Experiments in the Digital Humanities. Jentery Sayers, ed. University of Minnesota Press, 2017.
- (Book Chapter) “Praxis,” with Bethany Nowviskie and J.K. Purdom Lindblad. Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments. Rebecca Frost David, et. al., eds. Modern Languages Association, 2016.
- (Article) “Between a Book and a Hard Place: Translating the Value of Digital Humanities in a Reconfigured Library,” with Purdom Lindblad and Laura Miller. dh+lib special issue on “Digital Humanites in the Library / Of the Library,” 29 July 2016.
- (Article) “Crowdsourcing Individual Interpretations: Between Microtasking and Macrotasking,” with Brandon Walsh, et. al. Literary and Linguistic Computing vol. 29, no. 3, 2014.
- (Article) “Geo-Temporal Interpretation of Archival Collections With Neatline,” with Bethany Nowviskie, David McClure, Wayne Graham, Adam Soroka, and Eric Rochester. Literary and Linguistic Computing 28:4, (December 2013), 692–699, https://doi.org/10.1093/llc/fqt043
- (Review) Visual Interface Design for Digital Cultural Heritage: A Guide to Rich-Prospect Browsing by Stan Ruecker, et. al. Literary and Linguistic Computing vol. 27, no. 4, 2012.
- (Review) Query Pic by Tim Sherratt. Journal of Digital Humanities 1:1 (Winter 2011) , with Wayne Graham, Eric Rochester, and David McClure.
- (Book Chapter) “Digital Literacy and the Undergraduate Curriculum” and “Unconferences,” Hacking the Academy: New Approaches to Scholarship and Teaching from Digital Humanities. Daniel J. Cohen and Tom Scheinfeldt, eds. University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- (Invited Speaker) “A Carrier Bag Theory for Digital Humanities,” Digital Humanites and Social Justice Speaker Series. University of Houston, January 25, 2018, Houston, Texas.
- (Panelist) “Representing Justice in Digital Archiving Practice,” with Roopika Risam, J. K. Purdom Lindblad, and Padmini Ray Murray. Digital Humanities 2016, July 11–16, Kraków, Poland.
- (Paper) “Affordances of Interface for Digital Literary Archives,” with Alison Booth, Purdom Lindblad, and Rennie Mapp. Archival Uncertainties. April 4, 2016. London, UK.
- (Poster) “Advocacy by Design,” with J. K. Purdom Lindblad, Bethany Nowviskie, Ivey Glendon, and Lisa Goff. Joint CSDH/SCHN and ACH Digital Humanities Conference, July 1–3, 2015. Ottawa, Canada.
- (Poster) “Speaking in Code,” with Bethany Nowviskie, et. al. Digital Humanities 2014, July 8–12, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- (Poster) “Interfaces for Crowdsourcing Interpretation,” with Gwendolyn Nally, et. al. Digital Humanities 2013, July 16–19, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- (Paper) “Made to Make: Expanding Digital Humanities through Desktop Fabrication,” with Jentery Sayers, Devon Elliot, and William J. Turkel. Digital Humanities 2013, July 16–19, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- (Panelist) “Circular Development: Neatline and the User/Developer Feedback Loop,” with Amy Earhart, et. al. Digital Humanities 2013, July 16–19, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- (Poster) “Geo-temporal Interpretation of Archival Collections Using Neatline,” with Bethany Nowviskie, David McClure, Wayne Graham, and Eric Rochester. Digital Humanities 2012, July 16–20, 2012, Hamburg, Germany.
- (Poster) “Realigning Digital Humanities Training: The Praxis Program at the Scholars’ Lab,” with Bethany Nowviskie, et. al. Digital Humanities Conference, 2012, Hamburg, Germany.
- (Panelist) “Digital Tools for Historians,” wiwth Sheila Brennan, Joe Gilbert, Wayne Graham, and Trevor Owens. Organization of American Historians Annual Meeting, 2010, Washington D.C.
Boggs, J., Cohen, D. J., McClurken, J., Owens, T. J., Schrum, K., & Groom, J. “Humanities in the Digital Age,” with Daniel J. Cohen, Jef McClurken, Trevor Owens, Kelly Schrum, and Jim Groom. Annual Meeting of the American Historical Association, January 2010, San Diego, CA.
- (Panelist) “Three free, open source, extensible platforms for creating collaborative learning communities,” with Trevor Owens and Dave Lester, Educause, 2010, Denver, CO.
- (Panelist) “Teaching and learning in the digital age,” with Kelly Schrum, Trevor Owens, Ken Albers, Jennifer Reeder, and Ammon Shepherd. Annual Meeting of the History of Education Society, October 2009, Philadelphia, PA
- (Panelist) “Free digital tools to inspire student learning,” with Trevor Owens, Lee Ann Ghajar, and Dave Lester. National Education Computing Conference, June 2009, Fairfax, VA.
Digital Research and Scholarship
Grant-Funded Research and Development
- Principle Investigator, “Neatline”
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- AMST 4500, Digital Archives and Social Justice
- AMST 2500, Digital American Studies
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- HIST 698, Creating History with New Media
- HIST 120, U.S. History Survey
American University, Washington, DC
- HIST 377/677, History in the Digital Age.
Humanities Intensive Learning and Teaching (HILT)
- Advocacy By Design (2018)
- Design in the Digital Humanities (2015)
- Programming for the Humanities (2013–2014)
Organization of Conferences and Meetings
- Practicing Digital Humanities, University of Virginia Library, 2016.
- THATCamp Virginia, University of Virginia, 2012–2014.
- The Humanities and Technology Camp (THATCamp), George Mason Universtiy, 2008–2011.
- Archiving Social Media, George Mason University, 2010.
University of Virginia Library
- Chair, Search Committee
- Member, Search Committees
- Member, Promotion and Review Board, August 2012–July 2015
- Member, Committee to revise Promotion and Review Guidelines, August–November 2011.
Alliance of Digital Humanites Organizations (ADHO)
- Member, Program Committee, Digital Humanities Conference, 2017.
- Member, Program Committee, Digital Humanities Conference, 2015.
- Member, Infrastructure Committee, 2013–2017.
- Member, Publications Committee, 2014–2016.
Assocation for Computers in the Humanities (ACH)
- Communications Office, 2012–2016.
- Webmaster, 2011–2012.
Digital Humanities Quarterly
- Techical Editor, 2012–present.